Uxbridge Rugby Club

everything rugby


Uxbridge 33 - Mill Hill 34
Herts/Middlesex Division 2
11.10.2008 Uxbridge 33 – Mill Hill 34
Uxbridge: 33
Tries: Michael Weymouth x2 (10 points), Glen Curtin x3 (15 points), Tony Bailey

Pen: Michael Weymouth x1

After a roller coaster of emotions, sadly Uxbridge fail to beat Mill Hill at home this Saturday.

Uxbridge started well, but quick tapped a penalty in the opening minute rather than kick for goal and 10 minutes later missed a penalty kick.

On the 18 minute mark, against the run of play, Mill Hill showed great legs and support work to score in the corner to go 5 – nil up.

5 minutes later Mill Hill cemented their lead with a cheeky tap penalty behind the referees back for the Mill Hill tight head prop to score under the posts unopposed.

The Mill Hill pack were often found lacking and resorted to illegal play to try to slow down any good Uxbridge ball. Mill Hill paid for these indiscretions on the 28 minute mark as Uxbridge slotted a penalty and two minutes later scored their first try of the game; a lineout ball was cleanly won and driven deep into the Mill Hill 22, before being spun wide to full back Glen Curtin to score near the corner.

Only 8 – 12 down at halftime, Uxbridge needed to take the game by the scruff and score first after the break, but failed to do so.

Mill Hill scored a softly conceded try in the 41st minute and enjoyed a ten minute spell of dominance. Mill Hill scored again, running the ball down the blind side of the field; Uxbridge running out of defenders as the Mill Hill scrum half ferreted over for the try.

The referee was refereeing for his first senior league match and his inexperience showed at times. On the 58th minute mark the Mill Hill forwards blatantly stole the ball with their hands in a ruck, unseen by the referee, drove on through the middle of the park, showing great continuity and support play again to score in the corner.

At 29 – 8 down the game should’ve been over but Uxbridge were handed a lifeline by the continuing illegal play from the Mill Hill pack. After killing the ball at three break downs in a row finally a yellow card was produced by the referee, giving a 10 minute sin binning to the Mill Hill scrum half.

Uxbridge made the extra man advantage tell less than a minute later. Winning the ball from a Mill Hill lineout throw the Uxbridge pack took the ball forward and the ball was spun out to Glen Curtin who scored in the corner.

With their tails up and Mill Hill still a man short Uxbridge began to dominate. Substitute Sam Carter carried the ball well; the pack in close support gave the scrum half quick ball, before again simple hands gave Uxbridge the numbers outside, winger Tony Bailey showing great finishing for his try in the corner.

Just a minute later Michael Weymouth saw a huge gap open up in the Mill Hill defense, backed himself and outstripped the badly positioned defenders to score under the posts.

Despite the proximity to the posts the conversion kick was missed, but Michael Weymouth made good in the 76th minute. Showing great soccer skills to dribble the ball into the try area, he pounced on the ball before the desperate lunge of the last defender, to take Uxbridge to just one point behind the visitors.

Mill Hill were back up to 15 men again and in the lead, but they looked fatigued and Uxbridge continued to press hard for the win.

Uxbridge got the put in to a scrum in the Mill Hill 22, spun the ball blind instead of open allowing Glen Curtin to smash down in the corner to finish an excellent hat trick and take Uxbridge into a 33 – 29 deserved lead with only a minute left to play.

Mill Hill were gifted possession by two dubious penalty calls, giving Mill Hill field position, which after what many spectators and players were confident was a forward pass, Mill Hill limped over to score the winning try to dash Uxbridge’s hopes of a first league win this season.

Indecisive and inconsistent, both sides had comments on the standard of refereeing after the game and on the final whistle neither side were sure who had won. Both sides trudged off frustrated and a little confused, Mill Hill the happier beneficiaries of a dubiously earned 2 points.

Uxbridge face Mitcham at home in the EDF Junior Vase Round 3 next week.

Middlesex Merit Table Division 5
11.10.2008 Uxbridge II 0 – Staines IV 36

Staunch rear guard defending kept the contest from developing into a cricket score rout. Lacking their regular captain to the first team this week, the 2nd XV turned to its experienced players, of which there were many, to keep up the fight against an onslaught of attacking play. Despite being a 4th XV Staines are a much larger and more successful club and probably expected to have beaten Uxbridge by more. Next week Uxbridge II will face Old Abbotstonians II away in the local derby.

Home l About us l News l Events l Gallery l Links l Contact us
© Copyright 2008 Uxbridge Rugby Club. All Rights Reserved.