Uxbridge Rugby Club

everything rugby


Herts & Middlesex Division 2


Uxbridge 30 – Royston 13

HT Score: 23 - 03

Tries: Michael Weymouth x2 (10pts), Steve Partridge, Esmond Brown, Simon Batts

Pens: Glen Curtin

Cons: Glen Curtin

Royston Routed at Park Road .

The Uxbridge coaches and 1st Team Captain Mark Mason made it clear to the players before kick off that this game was a must win encounter. Uxbridge needed to take the game to Royston from the outset, and the players did just that.
Early Uxbridge pressure and territory was rewarded with 3 points from the boot of Uxbridge back Glen Curtin.
Royston replied with a penalty of their own, but Uxbridge dominated the breakdown and set piece to make life hard for the visitors.

Uxbridge scored the opening try after a good break and a nice off-load from Mickey Weymouth saw Steve Partridge crash over from 10 yards out.
The Uxbridge backs, especially Joel Brasher-Jones, were breaking the gain line time and time again. One such break, down an exposed blind side, gave Esmond Brown just enough space to thunder in under the posts.
The Uxbridge pack disrupted Royston ball at the tackle area, Flanker Sam Cater punishing poor Royston rucking and mauling drill by stealing ball on numerous occasions.
On the brink of halftime Uxbridge were awarded a penalty, Captain Mark Mason opting to kick for the corner rather than take the kickable 3 points on offer. After good phases of rugby by the Uxbridge forwards the ball found its way to Mickey Weymouth who touched down for a try.
In the second half Uxbridge kept the pressure on Royston, keeping them penned in their own half for long periods.

From a lineout inside the Royston 22, Weymouth found Mark Mason on the angle; the ball was clinically recycled and spun out to Uxbridge wing Simon Batts for Uxbridge’s forth try. Glen Curtin slotted the conversion to make it 30 - 3.
Sadly one of Uxbridge’s cleanest, law-abiding players, Eoin Donnelly, was surprisingly sin binned allowing Royston to enjoy a 10 minute one man advantage. Uxbridge let in 2 breakaway tries with 15 minutes left to play. That was as close as Royston came to a comeback as Uxbridge proficiently closed the game out.

Captain Mark Mason gave the Uxbridge man of the match award to Ed Baildon for his tireless efforts.

Uxbridge will be hoping that this 1st league win of the season will be the turning point in the clubs fortunes after a trying start to the season.

Next week Uxbridge 1st team and 2nd team face Harrow in a friendly.



UCS Old Boys II –Uxbridge II

The Uxbridge 2nd team suffered a crushing defeat away at UCS Old Boys. Both sides went out shorthanded. UCS not fielding a full front row forced the referee to opt for the dreaded uncontested scrums rule. This played into the home side’s hands, who were fielding a backs and back row dominated side, determined to keep the game open and free flowing. Uxbridge II’s had a side packed with forwards who rarely got to play to their strengths, spending most the game running after fitter, younger players rather than scrumaging, rucking and mauling.

The scale of the loss can be summed up by the fact that no one on the Uxbridge side had kept a track of the score.

Home l About us l News l Events l Gallery l Links l Contact us
© Copyright 2008 Uxbridge Rugby Club. All Rights Reserved.